We are pleased to announce the 13th annual Greek Cultural Program on the opening day of the Oakland Greek Festival, Friday, May 20, 2016. The program will provide students with a cultural experience and historical information about Ancient Greece.
The Program will include:
A PowerPoint Lecture by Ms. Deme Yfantis, History Teacher at Los Lomas high school in Walnut Creek, and Christina Mitsiopoulos, English teacher at Will C. Wood High School in Vacaville. The lecture will begin with a history of the Greek Gods and Goddesses, ancient history and culture followed by a brief history of the Greek Language. Then, the students will become "Greek for a day!" Mrs. Vasiliadou will discuss Modern Greek culture and give the students the opportunity to learn common Greek Phrases. The Lecture will be 30 minutes with 10 – 15 minutes for questions.
The students will also complete "the classics tour," which correlates with the California State Standards for 6th Grade Social Studies. Through these interactive stations, students will find information on different aspects of life in Ancient Greece which include:
- Important Greek Figures — Hypatia, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Euclid, Thucydides
- Democracy in Athens — Information about Athenian Democracy
- Looking at Life in Different Areas — Life in Athens vs. Life in Sparta
- Greek Mythology/Aesop’s Fables — Significance of Greek Mythology
- Greece Today — Geography, Climate, Capitol, Currency, Flag and Population including Cyprus: Geography, Climate, Major Cities, Flag and Population
The students will also receive a lesson in Greek Folk Dancing and free time to enjoy "Greece by the Bay."
The program fee is $10.00 per student. Full payment is due by May 1, 2017. Upon receipt of the reservation form (link below), confirmation will be made by e-mail. Reservations will be accepted in the order that this form is received. We look forward to hearing from you! Efharisto!
To register your school and class, visit (copy & paste into your browser):
NOTE: A limited number of attendees are accepted. For additional questions, please email email@example.com.